Tuesday 28 January 2014

The New Doctor

Have you seen the recent costume reveal for the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi?  The 12th, 13th, or 14th Doctor, depending on your counting system:

  • 12th Doctor if you don't count John Hurt's Doctor - he didn't call himself the Doctor during that regeneration, and had also been called The War Doctor so that the other Doctors didn't have to be re-numbered
  • 13th Doctor if you do count John Hurt (who was a pretty awesome Doctor if you ask me)
  • 14th Doctor if you include the 2nd regeneration for David Tennant
I quite like the new Doctor's costume.  Very refined, simple, but with a hint of colour.  Some people have been comparing it to John Pertewi's outfit, while others have been complaining that there is nothing "distinctive" about it.  

Photo from drwho-online.co.uk

Personally, I like it.  I enjoyed Matt Smith's "bowties are cool", Tennant's long flowing trench coat, and who could forget the 4th Doctor's scarf; however sometimes I think costume designers can go overboard trying to be "cool" or "different" or "distinctive", remember the 6th Doctor's technicolour dreamcoat?  Sometimes simple, elegant and classic is the best.

Past Doctor costumes from The Day of The Doctor cross stitch pattern, available from Fangirl Stitches

As Peter Capaldi himself has said "He's woven the future from the cloth of the past.  Simple, stark, and back to basics.  No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100% Rebel Time Lord." (bbc.co.uk)

Now who could argue with that?

I'm really looking forward to Capaldi's era as the Doctor.  While David Tennant stole my heart, and I'll always have a soft spot for Chris Ecclesten, Matt Smith irritated me most of the time.  He did grow on me towards the end, and he did have some spectacular moments, particularly during the 50th and every story with River; however I spent most of his tenure wishing for Tennant to come back!  I'm also hoping Capaldi helps improve Clara for me, who I personally don't like.  I'm over the whole companion-has-a-crush-on-the-Doctor storylines.  I think that's why I didn't really like Amy Pond either.  And why I miss Rory and Donna. 

I'm getting off topic.  As I said, I'm looking forward to Capaldi's era.  I'm looking forward to a bit of gravitas, and maybe a little bit of "acting like grown-ups".  I'd have enjoyed some more of John Hurt too (Big Finish audios perhaps?).  Ooo, I'm also looking forward to his voice - will he be Scottish or English?  Or maybe Northern?  Providing he's not Essex, we're all good.

I'm also really looking forward to some new monsters, new quotes, and to designing new cross stitch patterns for the Rebel Time Lord.

It Is Defended cross stitch pattern from Fangirl Stitches

What do you think of Capaldi's outfit?  What's your favourite Doctor Who moment?  What would you like to see in cross stitch?

Happy Stitching!


No comments:

Post a Comment