Sunday 7 September 2014

Happy Father's Day with a free pattern!

Dad and I in 2012
Things have been a little quiet from me of late.  There are reasons why, which I will share and explain (or much as possible anyway!) in the next post.  I've more important things to talk about at the moment.

It's Father's Day in Australia today, so a big Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there wherever they may be. But most specially a massive big Happy Father's Day to my own Dad.

My Dad is an amazing guy.  He has always been an inspiration to me and a guiding light.  I've always looked up to him and tried to live up to his example. He's a very quiet, reserved man but always worth listening to.  And he has taught and given me so much,

Dad painting the roof in 2002
He taught me to ignore society's gender-specific roles. Dad helped out with the cooking and the cleaning, the washing, the child minding - well, when he wasn't working or studying! Dad taught me to change a tyre, how to check the air pressure, and how to check and top up the oil in the car. He taught me how to build and make furniture (I'm no good at it, but at least he tried!), and how to fix things around the house.


Dad never told me I couldn't do something because I was a girl.  He always believed I could do anything if I would only try and give it ago.  Which is why I'm e one saying "you need to get a new washer for the tap" when I visit my brothers and they're saying "we thought we'd wait for dad to visit." Which is also why he one day told mum I was the "best boy" he had (and I've never let my three brothers forget it!)
Our family in 1993

Dad taught me how to drive a car, how to change gears and how about hill starts; and I taught him how to be a good teacher: how to explain things in laymen terms and how to give step-by-step instructions so that when he had to teach my brothers he had the knowledge and the patience to deal with their more stubborn learning styles.



Dad taught me to tinker with computers, to keep trying to get Word and Excel to do what I needed them to do.  He taught me how to create commands to change the Excel box colours.  He taught me to appreciate maths and science, and how to think logically, although I still think he's crazy for saying I had to study physics in high school so I had a "fun subject".

Dad and Mum in 2012
More importantly, my Dad taught me how to be patient, and how to serve without asking for praise or reward.  He taught me how to love others, how to hold my judgement in check, to not jump to conclusions. He taught me what respect is, what values are important.  From his relationship with my mother and my brothers and I, he's taught me what a father and a husband should be.  He taught me how to give to others, how to be generous with my belongings, my money and my time.  He taught me what a work ethic is. When I needed to leave a job that was destroying me, he told me it was okay and didn't judge. When I needed an actor for a play I was directing, he stepped in and took on the lead role for me (and learnt his lines quicker than anybody!).

Dad, me, and my cousin 2002
He also told me when I was an idiot, carrying on too much, or digging myself a hole.  Not in so many words.  Well, not in any words.  My father has a "look". It's known in certain circles as "a dad look". There's a tilt to the head just-so with a little turn to the side, a certain raising of an eyebrow and slight squinting of the other eye.  It's hard to explain.  But when you see it, you know.  And you know exactly what he's thinking at that moment.  My brother's have tried to copy it but it can't be done. It's a dad look.

Like I said, he's an amazing a person, and I probably don't tell him often enough.

Oh, and he taught me about Doctor Who.  Enough said!

Happy Father's Day Dad!

To celebrate Father's Day, I've created a cross stitch card pattern featuring Arthur Weasley. It's hard to find strong Fawther characters in the world of fandoms.  There are a lot of father-figures or surrogate fathers, but not too many actual fathers.  I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment